Cretan Villa Hotel
 

Sightseeings

 

Kales
Built at the edge of the mole, on the side of the old town (Serakina) it is reputed to have been built by the Genoese pirate Pescatore in 1212 and since then it has strongly tied with Ierapetra's history.

 
 
 
Mosque
A typical old mosque of the early Islamic years, together with its Muslim fountain "Krini", has been beautifully preserved by now. Today they have been restored, and the mosque is used as a music school.
 
 
 
Napoleon's residence.
In July 1798, when Napoleon's fleet dropped anchor of Ierapetra on its way to Egypt, he was offered hospitality by an Ierapetra family. The remain of the old Cretan house in the old town, still holds the pride of his historical visit.
 
 
 
The archaeological collection.
The Ottoman School was built in 1899 after the liberation for the Turkish children.Today it is used as an archaeological collection. In the archaeological collection there are exhibited various objects found in the area and belonging to various periods. Among the most important are: ritual pots and other vessels, jars, axes, a clay potter's wheel, the Episkopi sarcophagus and the statue of the goddess Persefoni.


 
 
 
The folklore museum of Myrtos.
The museum is located in the village of Myrtos. Minoan pottery, agricultural tools, domestic vessels, weaving tools and precious relics of the modern Crete history are exhibited.
 
 
 
The folklore museum of Vainia.
A small museum of folklore art and a cultural association.
 
 
 
The church of Afentis Christos.
The church of Afentis Christos is regarded as being the oldest church in the town.
It was built in the 14th century. The church contains a number of fine icons and a beautifully carved wooden iconostasis.
 
 
 
The church of Panagitsa.
One of the most important churches in the town is that of the "Panagia" (the Virgin) opposite the entrance to the fort. It is a small single aisled church, which holds its main celebration in honor of the "Entrance of the Virgin into the Temple" on the 21st of November.
 
 
 
The church of St. John.
The church of St. John is also in the old town. During the 17th century it was converted into a mosque by the Turks.
 
 
 
The chapel of Agios Georgios and Agios Haralampos.
The Byzantine chapel of Agios Georgios and Agios Haralampos, a monument built in 961 A.C. at the village of Episkopi, with great historical and cultural significance.
 
 
 
Panagia Vriomenou monastery.
The monastery of Panagia Vriomenou in Messeleri village is dedicated to the birth of Holly Mother, built in 1577 A.D.
 
 
 
Exacousti monastery.
Built in the midst of a pine forest, near the village of Males, it had been totally abandoned until 1960 when it was restored and opened again.
 
 
 
Gournia
The town of Gournia was excavated by the American archaeologist Harriet Boyd-Hawes. It is the best preserved Minoan settlement from the period of the new palaces. Although the house-walls were very low, the visitor can get a feeling for the appearance of a Minoan town.
 
 
 
Fournou Korfi
The settlement in Fournou Korfi was occupied from 2500 B.C. until 2170 B.C., when it was destroyed by fire. The site excavation contributed valuable information about the first Minoan settlements.
 
 
 
Vasiliki.
Vasiliki is another important Early Minoan site. The site is situated on a small hill at the northern end of the Ierapetra isthmus near the village of Vasiliki from which it takes its name. It was a typical Minoan village which, despite being destroyed by fire on a number of occasions, remained in use throughout most of the Minoan period.
 
 
 
Simi.
This sanctuary complex is situated on the southern side of Mount Dikte, 1,200 meters above sea level, just above the village of Kato Simi, with fantastic views down to the south coast.
 
 
 
Selakano forest.
Selakano consists one of the most important forest core of wild pine in the Mediterranean. Selakano is a region of various natural interests, traditional agricultural cultivation, cattle - raising, apiculture.
 
 
 
Chrissi island.
One of the 81 uninhabited islands off the coast of Crete is Chrissi. The island of Chrissi is located 8 miles south of Ierapetra and is an exotic place for the European standards. Although human presence in the island dates back to Minoan times the natural environment of Chrissi has barely been disturbed during time. The shallow blue-green sea, the sandy beaches, which in some spots are full of small sea shells, and the rare cedar forest on the sand-hills are the most impressive features of the island. The island is almost flat with colorful volcanic rocks, covered in sand and aquatic fossils. It is 5Km long and it has an average height of 10m. The value of Chrissi natural environment is great and therefore has been placed in the network of European Union's protected areas.


 
 
 
The gorge of Ha.
The gorge of Ha is located 8 km. north of Ierapetra. Ha is a place where many species of Cretan flora and fauna exist. A gorge of about 500m long and 400m deep.
 
 
 
The gorge of Sarakina.
A gorge of rare beauty, with plane trees, pine trees small waterfalls and rare species of Cretan fauna.
 
 
 
The gorge of Mesonas.
The gorge of Mesonas in Kavousi village. There are many species of flora, some of which are endemic to Crete and found in this gorge.
 
     
The dam of Bramiana.
The dam of Bramiana, (the largest wetland in Crete) a man-made lake (which today looks like a natural aquatic environment) that is supplied by the waters from Selakano, Kalamafka and Malavra. Migratory birds make Bramiana dam a stopover each spring on their way from Africa to Europe and on the return trip each autumn. The dam has an idyllic setting that contains interesting flora and fauna and it is a very
important protected area.
 
     
Theriospilio cave.
The cave Theriospilio with stalactites and stalagmites near the village of Kavousi.
   
     
BACK TO TOP
 
IerapetraNet Team © 2002- 2003